click here 
for homepage

NOVEMBER 2014 UPDATE  

**************

KEITH TRUEMAN (LESNEY PARK)


Following on from last month's update, the interior of the London Transport DMS has been finished and furnished with 'Model Power' (USA) figures.


The EFE model reassembled and back in service.


Also on the workbench are these 2 Bachmann class 25 loco's which have been converted to EM gauge and detail parts added.


During the fitting of bufferbeam detail, I noticed that Bachmann have produced the multiple-working jumper cables 'mirror fashion', so this has been corrected by cutting off the cable, and drilling out the plug and gland assemblies.


The modified jumper assembly is shown here to the left, and the original Bachmann item on the right.


25051 at Lesney Park.


25089 at Lesney Park.

**************

PETE JOHNSON (CANADA STREET)


The layout name sign, finished and ready for fitting


The ornate style of fasteners has been copied using bolt heads encased in epoxy putty, then turned and filed to shape. The end edging is made from some pieces skilfully turned in hardwood by my mate Dave, then sawn and fitted together.


An example of the inspiration for the sign is seen within Gloucester docks. It is perhaps slightly unusual for having ‘Street’ as a separate plate, and also with a full stop.


Some of the discarded sleepers pictured previously have had empty chairs added using C&L parts.


A large packing crate to clutter the dockside - made by re-working the familiar Hornby wagon load item. For this a milling cutter on a minidrill was used to reduce the heavy outside bracing, before a general repaint.


Various parts of the layout have now started to have clutter added: – The S&W works yard……but still no real clues as to what they actually do?!


The torn up track of the dock branch, with lifted sleepers and chairs just left in a heap.


The p-way stores area by the grounded van, with various track maintenance items gently rusting


Weathering of the main buildings has also begun, although still with final blending to add. The dockside by the Burtons building begins to come to life….


A view looking the other way, under the R&W Paul loading gantry.


At the same time parts are being made ready for taking the show on the road. Most of the main elements crate-up into three boxes, this is one of the transport frames, made from 10mm ply.


A trial load-up suggests it will all fit in the car…....just!

**************

PAUL JAMES (EASTWELL IRONSTONE)


A Hornby Sentinel shunting locomotive, which I've recently converted to EM gauge using the original wheels.


Showing the keep plate and wheels removed. Clearances are quite tight, so the process did involve facing the wheels to make them fit.


The wheels regauged to EM and fitted back into position. Slight tweaking to the brass pick-ups may be required so they contact the wheel rim.


Keep plate refitted and ready for service.

**************

KARL CROWTHER (HEBBLE VALE GOODS)


This month I’ve made a start on a High Level chassis and detailing kit for the Mainline Class 03 diesel shunter. Work on the body is here just about completed. In addition to the kit, the air horns, air tanks and conical exhaust were from the A1 Models range, whilst the vacuum exhauster cabinet was built up from styrene sheet. Replacing all the moulded handrails with 0.3mm nickel silver wire was a big job, but well worth the effort. I’ve left off the rear step assemblies for now to help with detailing the cab interior. Painting and numbering as 03371 will be done after the chassis is up and running.


I’ve also been working on a couple of small shed-type buildings, based on an original from Halifax Town station. This had three windows, but I’m not sure if this may be too long for the layout, so I’m also building one with just two windows. Like the other buildings on the layout, walls and windows have been laser-cut, in this case from 2mm MDF and 0.8mm plywood respectively.


The walls have now been clad with a lower portion of stretcher-bond brick-embossed Plastikard, plus an upper section of vertical planking, I think from the Evergreen range. The latter, first had a layer of 10-thou applied underneath so the planks would stand slightly proud of the brickwork, as in the original structure. Evostick Time Bond was used to glue the styrene parts onto the MDF, with the doors and windows being cut through and tidied up afterwards with files.

**************


October 2014
  December 2014

Site Map for archive Update pages